Ham and Bean Soup

  I first made this soup in October of 2018. I had found ham hocks at the Seminary Co-op. I had never seen ham hocks before and had no idea what to do with them. But I saw a lot of fat and bones so I assumed it would make good soup (which I realize is very obvious, but I was young and inexperienced ;)). My husband had come down with a nasty bug so the timing was perfect. Since then it has become a favorite which my husband often requests, and not just when he's sick.

Ham and Bean soup



INGREDIENTS

  • 8 cups of water
  • 2-3 lbs ham hocks
    2 teaspoons herbs (Italian, Herbs de Provence, or fresh garden herbs)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Diced onions 
  • 2/3 cup chopped carrots 
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (I buy the already minced kind in a jar)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I use Lawry's garlic salt)
  • 2 cans of Great Northern beans
  • A fresh herb such as parsley (about 2 teaspoons)

    Directions 


    1. Put the ham hocks in a large pot and cover with the water. Add the herbs and cover pot. Bring to a simmer and maintain for 1 hour, occasionally scooping off excess fat from the top and discarding.

    2. After one hour, sauté onions in the oil on medium-high heat about 5-6 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook together one more minute. Chop carrots and add carrots, onions, and garlic to the broth. Leave uncovered and let simmer another hour.

    3. Remove bones from the soup, tearing off any remaining meat adding it back to the pot. Discard bones. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh chopped herb.
     


Comments

Popular Posts